After serving up the original buffalo wings alongside the snowboard comedy classic, Out Cold, we’ve decided to go even further back in history for one of the best feature films about skiing ever created, Aspen Extreme.
Patrick Hasburgh, a former Aspen resident and Hollywood director, was inspired to create Aspen Extreme after living the real deal ski bum life prior to his forays in film making. The movie focuses on Detroit natives, TJ Burke and Dexter Rutecki as they follow their mountain dreams west and along the way, decide to land in a world of glitz and glamour, bumps and powder snow, Aspen Snowmass.
We’ll avoid spoiling the rest but what we won’t spoil is your appetite. This week, we’ve got an all-time nacho recipe that is sure to bring a smile to everyone on your quaranteam as you watch this timeless tale of following your ski dreams.
*Aspen Extreme is rated R and features adult situations and drug use
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 1 can of Ranch Style Beans
- 3 whole tomatoes, diced
- 2 lbs pounds ground beef
- 1 bag or flour tortilla chips
- 2 cups of mild cheddar, grated
- 1 lime
- 1 whole avocado, sliced
- Sour cream (optional)
- Oil a large pan and place on med-high heat
- Add half the sweet onion to the pan and cook till translucent
- Add ground beef and cook till browned
- Drain excess grease and place back in pan with cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder, and cayenne
- Add Ranch Style Beans, water, and mix
- Reduce heat to low and leave on simmer
- In a separate bowl, combine the other half of the onion, the 1/2 of the diced jalapeno, and all of the diced tomatoes
- Add fresh cilantro, squeezed lime, and mix to create your Pico de Gallo
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large Pyrex bowl or baking sheet, scatter a layer of tortilla chips and cover with cheddar cheese.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Add the nachos with the beef, onion, and bean mixture and top with Pico de Gallo
- Add freshly sliced jalapeno, avacado, cheddar cheese, lime and cilantro to taste (sour cream optional)