Thanks to a record-setting snowfall year (63 feet of snow), there’s still skiing in the California Sierras. Here’s the lowdown on where you can don a star-spangled bikini, along with your skis and boots for one unforgettable Fourth!
Fourth of July at Squaw Valley
Photo: Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows
Squaw’s “Freedom Fest” will be the perfect marriage of summer and winter. Expect poolside dance parties at the High Camp, patriotic-clad slush turns, beers and BBQs. It doesn’t get better than that. At the mountain’s base, the KT Sundeck will serve up music and cold beers throughout the après hours, and a fireworks show on Monday night. Don’t miss a stacked live music lineup at mid-mountain and the KT Base Bar, July 1–4.
Squaw Valley 4th of July Schedule, July 1–4, 2017
- All-day skiing and riding
- Concerts at Gold Coast’s 39° North and KT Base Bar
- Fireworks on the evening of Monday, July 3
- Hot tub party with live DJ each day, 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- “Family fun pond skim” on Sunday, July 2
4th of July at Mammoth Mountain
Not only can you ski at Mammoth Mountain during the 4th of July weekend, but you can mountain bike, too. The downhill bike park opened last week. If you happen to miss the 4th of July ski weekend at Mammoth, not to worry, the resort recently announced it will open at least until August. Plus, starting July 2 through the end of the season (whenever that my be), you can ski, bike and golf for just $99 a day.
On the actual 4th, don’t miss free beer on the mountain summit (while supplies last), a DJ and awesome swag giveaways.
Mammoth Lakes 4th of July Schedule
- All day: Skiing and riding at Mammoth Mountain
- 7 a.m. – Lions Club pancake breakfast
- 10:10 a.m. – Footloose Freedom Mile; sign up at Footloose Sports
- 11 a.m. – Independence Day parade on Main Street and Old Mammoth Road
- 11 a.m. – 40th annual arts show in the Footloose Sports parking lot
- 9:15 p.m. – Fireworks at Crowley Lake
The Village 4th of July Schedule, July 1–4, 2017
- All-American picnic in The Plaza
- DJ mashups & live music
- Ducky races in The Village pond
- Chihuahua races in The Plaza
- Kids’ activities in The Plaza
- Stage show in The Plaza, July 3
- Fireworks extravaganza in The Plaza, July 3
Director of SEO + Content
Originally from the icy trails of New Jersey, I moved West to pursue powder and a career in writing and editing. Now living in Aspen, Colo. and working for Ski.com as Director of SEO + Content, I've been able to combine a litany of skills, passions and interests. You'll find me skiing at Aspen Mountain or Aspen Highlands in the winter and mountain biking at Snowmass in the summer.