Vacation rentals are high in the consideration set of most travelers these days with many companies offering direct access to owner-managed condos, townhomes, houses and even bedrooms.
At Ski.com, we’ve booked our clients in vacation rentals for decades. Before there were endless lodging options at developed ski resorts, vacation rentals (aka condos) were the cornerstone of a great ski vacation. Just add a ski lift and an après-ski bar, and you had a great time!
With this hot topic in mind, we dedicated September to a vacation rental discussion on our blog and social media. We listed 5 reasons to consider a vacation rental, demystified vacation rental myths, and compared owner-managed rentals versus Ski.com vacation rentals. All the while, we asked skiers and snowboarders to tell us their worst vacation rental fear for a chance to win a seamless and stress-free vacation rental experience with Ski.com and our trusted partner, Wyndham Vacation Rentals’ Mountain Collection. The results are in…
Your worst vacation rental fears
We received valid responses from more than 7,000 participants, and here are the results of the poll:
- 37.5%—Photos misrepresented unit’s location or interior
- 26%—Dirty unit
- 23%—Scammers stealing payment
- 5%—No housekeeping or in-unit amenities
- 5%—Difficult check-in
- 3.5%—No onsite management
How to avoid vacation rental nightmares
In our humble opinion, the best way to avoid the aforementioned vacation rental pitfalls is to book with the experts at Ski.com. Our free travel planning services include:
- Inventory assurances: Before a vacation rental is listed on Ski.com it has to pass our Vacation Rental Patrol checklist:
- Immaculate unit that looks as it did in the photos
- Straightforward check-in process
- Housekeeping services and in-unit amenities
- Property amenities like hot tubs and shuttle service to the ski area*
- Onsite management to handle anything that goes wrong
- *Property amenities vary by destination and property.
- Unbiased advice: Our mountain travel experts average 26 years in the travel industry, and you can access their wealth of knowledge by filling out a simple quote form.
- Secure transactions: Having been in business for more than 40 years, we’ve learned a thing or two about transaction security and customer privacy.
- Advocacy while you’re traveling: If the worst does happen on your ski vacation, we have resources to help you. Thanks to our longstanding relationships in the ski travel industry, our voice carries weight with management companies and resorts.