If you’ve been dreaming of a ski trip in the Alps, now’s the time to go. Favorable exchange rates, good snow and great deals from your trusty Mountain Travel Experts at Ski.com are aligning to make that European ski trip very attainable this season. Here’s the 411 on the factors you may be weighing before booking your ski vacation in the Alps.
Favorable exchange rates
Business Insider reported today that the Euro dropped to a nine-year low against the dollar. What does this mean? Here’s how many days your greenbacks will buy you at top ski resorts in Europe:
- Six-day lift pass at Trois Vallees Ski Pass (high season), the largest ski resort in the world: $349 total or $58 per day
- Six-day Courmayeur Mont Blanc lift pass, that offers access skiing in three countries, including the Chamonix resorts, Courmayeur and Verbier: $349 total or $58 per day
- Six-day lift pass in the Arlberg, the birthplace of skiing, which includes St. Anton, Lech and Zurs: $302 total or $50 per day
- Six-day lift pass (packaged with lodging) at St. Moritz, the famed Swiss resort: $222 total or $37 per day
Update: the Swiss Franc exchange rate spiked on Jan. 15, so prices have changed.
Good snow conditions
The Alps were hit with a big storm just after Christmas, reestablishing solid bases at top ski resorts. In France, the higher-elevation resorts, like Chamonix and Val d’Isere, have 95 – 100 cm bases at their summits, which is fairly similar to North American conditions. Nearby in Switzerland, Verbier has a 100 cm base on its upper slopes, and Zermatt has 90 cm below glacier elevation. In Austria, the post-holiday storm delivered big snow totals, and St. Anton boasts a 140 cm base at its mid-station.
Snow depths were current as of Jan. 2, 2015 and reported from the Telegraph’s weekly conditions report.
Great deals from Ski.com
Thanks to 43 years in the industry, we’re able to secure great deals at ski resorts around the world, including the top destinations in Europe. Here are a few of our best deals available now:
- Chamonix: Save 20% on lodging at Hotel les Aiglons Resort & Spa. Ski and stay from $348 per night. This package includes 4 nights’ lodging in a hotel room and 2, 3-day lift tickets. Learn more >>>
- Kitzbuhel: 4th night free at Kempinski Hotel Das Tirol. Stay from $453 per night. This package is lodging-only and includes 4 nights’ lodging in a hotel room. Learn more >>>
- Les Menuires: 7th night free at Hotel les Bruyeres. Stay from $253 per night. This package is lodging-only and includes 7 nights’ lodging in a hotel room. Learn more >>>
- Megeve: Save 20% on lodging at Hotel Mont-Blanc. Ski and stay from $421 per night. This package includes 7 nights’ lodging in a hotel room and 2, 6-day lift tickets valid at Rochebrune, Mont dArbois and Jailet. Learn more >>>
- Val Thorens: 7th night free at Hotel Le Val Thorens. Stay from $381 per night. This package is lodging-only and includes 7 nights’ lodging in a hotel room with breakfast and dinner included. Learn more >>>
All deal prices are based on the average nightly rate, may vary by arrival date and are subject to availability. Taxes and fees are applied at checkout.
If you’re ready to ski the Alps, start by requesting a customized quote. If you need to narrow down your choices, our Europe Travel Experts are standing by at 800-610-8911.