Update: This sweepstakes is now over, but stay tuned for more great giveaways on our Facebook page!
This month, we are celebrating all things Whistler on our Facebook page with Whistler Chairlift Trivia. Answer questions on Mondays and Thursdays and enter to win a five-day ski vacation. You can enter with each new trivia question, so visit often! Check back on Dec. 3 to see if you’ve been drawn as the winner who will receive this incredible package:
- Complimentary transfers with Whistler Connections
- Five nights lodging at The Listel Hotel Whistler
- Wine tasting with Whistler Tasting Tours
- Four-day lift ticket and equipment rental package at Whistler Blackcomb
- Bear Tour with Ziptrek Ecotours
- Complimentary passes to Scandinave Spa
- Backcountry snowmobile tour, including dinner, with The Adventure Group (a new experience)
Our first question was: When development of the Whistler ski area started, what event were the owners aiming to host?
- A snow ballet exhibition to celebrate the first mass-produced epoxy skis
- The 1968 winter Olympics
- Johnny Carson’s televised ski lesson with Austrian ski instructor Kitty Falger
- A ski-wear runway event to launch Bogner’s trend-setting stretchy ski pants
The answer is: the 1968 winter Olympics! Whistler did not end up winning the bid, which was not surprising as there wasn’t even a road to the resort yet. However, developers saw the potential for a world-class ski resort and pressed on with development. By 1965, the Canadian government had aided developers in building a road, and Whistler officially opened for skiing on January 15, 1966.
This week’s second trivia question is: What was Whistler named after?
- the shrill whistle sound made by local alpine marmots who live among the rocks
- the sound the wind makes when howls between Whistler Mountain and Blackcomb Glacier
- the steamship that delivered Myrtle and Alex Philip to Vancouver, the couple who built the Rainbow Lodge on the shores of Alta Lake in 1914 and transformed Whistler into a tourism destination
- the lunch bell that called in loggers and miners for their daily meals
Answer the question and enter to win on our Facebook page here.
Latest posts by Alex Boyd (see all)
- Trip report: Breckenridge sweepstakes winner - April 20, 2015
- Where can you ski in May 2015? - April 13, 2015
- Trip Report: “Resolve to Ski Crested Butte” sweepstakes winner - April 9, 2015