Two of Utah’s most iconic ski resorts—Park City and Canyons—were linked at the start of the 2015-16 ski season by an interconnect gondola, and the ski area is now the largest in the United States with 7,300 acres of terrain.
Beyond the physical link, Park City and Canyons now operates as one resort, offering a unified experience to skiers and riders while maintaining the historic character of ski area. The full resort is called Park City Mountain Resort, and the Canyons base area will be named “Canyons at Park City” and is often referred to as Canyons Village.
Read on or watch the video below to learn more about $50 million in capital investments and how to experience the all-new Park City Mountain Resort.
The Quicksilver Gondola at Park City
The centerpiece of the Park City Canyons connection is the new interconnect gondola, named Quicksilver, which takes cues from Park City’s mining heritage and its speedy flight over 8,000 feet of terrain. The eight-passenger Quicksilver gondola cars brings skiers from the bottom of the Silverlode Lift at Park City to the Canyon’s Flat Iron Lift (or vice versa) in about nine minutes. Passengers can disembark at the midway station atop Pine Cone Ridge to ski down three new runs on the Canyons side or gate-accessed terrain into Thaynes Canyon on the Park City side.
The new Miners Camp Restaurant
A new restaurant anchors the interconnect gondola on the Park City side. Over the 2015 summer, crews have removed the old Snow Hut Lodge and are built a new restaurant called Miners Camp, which features a sun-centric design, including a huge deck and 500 indoor seats facing walls of windows.
Other Park City and Canyons improvements
Improvements on the Park City side
- King Con lift has been upgraded from a four-person chairlift to a six-person detachable lift.
- Motherlode lift has been updated from fixed-grip triple chair to a detachable high-speed quad lift.
- Summit House has been renovated and now has updated food service area.
- Additional maintenance projects on Park City are being completed with a $5 million investment.
Improvements on the Canyons side
- Chichane Trail has been widened to improve access to Tombstone Express and the Quicksilver Gondola.
- Red Pine Lodge has been expanded to increase the dining capacity by about 250 additional indoor seats.
- New snowmaking has been installed on Canyons’ two signature trails on Iron Mountain.
Where to stay
The connection hasn’t changed much in the way of lodging, but it’s important to consider a couple things before booking your lodging at the all-new Park City Mountain Resort.
Downtown Park City
If you’re looking to experience the lively, famed downtown Park City nightlife, you’re going to want to stay on the main strip. Here are our top picks:
- For the budget-conscious vacationer who still wants convenience to the slopes and Main Street restaurants, shops and bars, stay at the Lodge at Mountain Village.
- Enjoy incredible access to the lifts and the excitement of downtown Park City, as well as one of the best views of the slopes when staying at the Resort Plaza.
Where to stay in Canyons Village
For a range of family-friendly accommodations and a host of family-friendly events, Canyons Village is the place to stay. Here are our top picks:
- Experience the comforts of home and easy access to the Frostwood Gondola when staying at the Juniper Landing townhomes.
- Your little ones will love making a big splash in the Grand Summit’s famous outdoor pool, while you relax in a nearby hot tub.
How to book your 2015-16 Park City ski trip
Now that you have a sense of the amazing changes that Park City Mountain Resort and Canyons at Park City have undergone, start planning to see it (and ski it!) for yourself this season. Browse Park City and Canyons deals, request a free custom quote or speak with an expert at 800-610-8911.
Latest posts by Alex Boyd (see all)
- The most popular ski vacations of 2017 - March 13, 2017
- Top 2017 spring events at North American ski resorts - February 15, 2017
- The 2016-17 ski season has started - October 24, 2016